New Delhi : At least 10 doctors and 12 paramedical staff Thursday followed leading cardiologist Naresh Trehan and resigned from the Escorts hospital to join the Apollo Hospitals.
"We have received the resignation of seven doctors during the day and as I talk to you (at 10 p.m.), I have received three more," Daljit Singh, head (operations) at the Escorts, told IANS.
Sudarshan Majumdar, head (marketing) of Fortis Healthcare, which runs the Escorts, said: "Apart prom Trehan and Yatin Mehta, 10 others quit today. Besides, 12 paramedical employees have also left the hospital.
"The Escorts hospital has over 200 doctors and the total staff of nearly 2,500. Hence this development will not affect the patient care at all," he added.
Meanwhile, sources said at least 50 doctors, most of them from the department of cardiology, had already put in their papers and were heading to join the Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals here.
Those who have resigned include R.R. Kasliwal, director (non-invasive cardiology), Sanjay Mittal, principal consultant (cardiology), Savitri Shrivastava, director (paediatric cardiology) and senior consultant B. Aggarwal.
Ending a 10-day old fracas with Fortis Healthcare, which acquired 90 percent stake in the Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre (EHIRC) last year, Trehan Wednesday resigned from the post of executive director of the hospital and joined the Apollo group.
On May 18, Fortis Healthcare had sacked Trehan citing "conflict of interest" but reinstated him Saturday.
"At least 50 doctors and 50 paramedics including nurses, technicians and support staff have left the Escorts hospital. The resignation letters of many more will reach the management within Saturday," said a senior doctor who quit his job Thursday.