By Kashif-ul-huda, TwoCircles.net
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court adjourned the hearing of the case against the demolition of historic Rani Sipri mosque till July 16th after Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation sought time to reply to its notices.
The small Rani Sipri mosque, also known as the Masjid-e-Nagira or Jewel of a Mosque, was built in 1514 and is named for of its intricately carved decoration, jali screens with flowing plant and tree forms. Its elegant design is a fusion of Hindu and Muslim architecture.
Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) had proposed to demolish parts of Rani Sipri, Pattharwali and Sayied Ahmed Jafer Siraji mosques as part of its road widening drive. All these mosques are architectural heritage of 16th century Gujarat.
Archaeological Survey of India has directed AMC not to disturb any structure within 100 meters of a protected monument.
Sunni Awam Forum has moved the court against the demolition resulting in an ad-interim order by Gujarat High Court to stop the demolition and road widening project.
A peopleâ€™s movement has started to protect the monuments. It is led by former municipal commissioner PK Ghosh. They are working to resolve the issue and restore structures already demolished elsewhere.
ASI chief C Babu Rajeev and the Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage (INTACH) have written independently to state and civic authorities to prevent demolition of historical buildings.
Built on the orders of Rani Sipri, queen of Sultan Mehmud Shah Begada, mosque has the tomb of the queen on its side.