PARIS, Jan 15 (KUNA) — France on Thursday strongly condemned Israel for its shelling of a hospital in Gaza and for a similar attack against a building that houses international media in Gaza city.
“We condemn with the greatest firmness the bombardments this morning by the Israeli army of several hospitals and a building housing international media in Gaza city,” French Foreign Ministry spokesman Eric Chevalier said in a statement.
He warned Israel to refrain from any action “contrary to international law, whether it be international humanitarian law or UN Security Council resolution 1738 on the protection of journalists in armed conflict”.
Many injuries were reported in the media building shelling by Israel and the Israelis also attacked the headquarters of the UN operation in Gaza (UNRWA).
UN officials protested in interviews here that the Israeli army knows perfectly well where these building are located because the GPS coordinates of all UN installations have been given to the Israelis in advance.
Chevalier said in an interview with “France 24” television that the Israeli behaviour is being condemned here “with the most extreme firmness,” and relative to the hospital attacks, the media building bombardment and the shelling of the UNRWR HQ, he said: “This is not possible, this is no longer possible”.
Chevalier, in his official statement from the Foreign Ministry, indicated that France condemned “with the same firmness the bombardment which hit the headquarters of UNRWA in Gaza, wounding three members of its staff”.
UNWRA, which is a major source of support for Palestinian civilians, has decided to suspend its activities because of the Israeli shelling.
Already last week, the UN organization was forced to halt aid deliveries because Israeli tanks fired on workers from UNRWA and killed a contract driver.
“France wants UNRWA and other UN bodies and NGOs to be able to accomplish their mission,” and Chevalier added that this work was “essential” and the French government was “particularly worried” by the consequences of the suspension of operations on the civilian population, even if the reasons are understood.
France also reiterated Thursday an urgent call for a cease-fire, noting the impact 20 days of conflict have had on the population in Gaza.