Home India News Suicide victim’s family not cooperating: Himachal government

Suicide victim’s family not cooperating: Himachal government


Shimla: The family of a woman, who hanged herself allegedly after her bid to marry Himachal Pradesh Inspector General of Police (IGP) Pradeep Kumar Sarpal’s son was rebuffed, is not cooperating in the probe against him, the state government has told the high court.

“The petitioner and the victim’s family were asked to cooperate with the investigation but they have not joined the investigation on the plea that they have no trust in the police and want the case to be investigated by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI),” a government affidavit, filed in the court Monday, said. A copy of the affidavit was made available by the woman’s family Tuesday.

A division bench, comprising Chief Justice Kurian Joseph and Justice R.B. Misra, April 9 sought the response of the state government, the state police and the CBI on a petition by the family of the woman, seeking a CBI probe into the death.

The government has already ordered a Criminal Investigation Department (CID) probe into the case.

“The IG of the CID, under whose supervision the investigation is being conducted, has visited the spot but the family members and the relations refused to give any statement or to associate with the investigation. However, the onus for the delay in investigation of the case purely lies on the petitioner,” according to the state’s affidavit.

“The police have interrogated Sarpal, his wife Uma Sarpal and his son Sidharth and their mobile details have been obtained,” it added.

Ritu, 28, hanged herself from a ceiling fan at her residence here March 28. She was reportedly in love with Sidharth and her relatives alleged that she committed suicide after the Sarpals refused to let her marry their son.

Sidharth, a sub-judge in Mandi district, and Ritu were known to each other for 15 years.

As per the first information report, Sarpal, his son and some policemen entered Ritu’s house after her suicide and tried to tamper with the evidence. None of her relatives was present in the house then.

The next hearing of the case is slated for Wednesday.