Home Economy Company fined $100,000 for improper home insulation

Company fined $100,000 for improper home insulation


Sydney : A company has been fined $100,000 for a death linked to the federal government’s botched up home insulation programme.

Matthew Fuller, 25, was electrocuted Oct 14, 2009 while installing foil insulation in the ceiling of a house at Meadowbrook, south of Brisbane, The Sydney Morning Herald reported Friday.

Fuller’s girlfriend and co-worker Monique Pridmore, 18, sustained severe electrical burns on her leg.

Their employer, QHI Installations, was charged with failing to conduct its business in a way that was electrically safe.

The company’s Director Christopher William McKay and his father, company manager Christopher John McKay, were also charged with failing to ensure the company complied with its obligations.

Christopher John McKay pleaded guilty to this charge at the Beenleigh Magistrates Court.

A guilty plea was also entered on behalf of the company. But the charge against William McKay was dropped. QHI was fined $100,000, and John McKay was released on a $2000, two-year good behaviour bond.

He and the company were both ordered to pay costs totalling about $6,000.