Home India News NC worker’s death: Bedi commission absolves Omar Abdullah

NC worker’s death: Bedi commission absolves Omar Abdullah


Jammu: A panel probing the custodial death of a National Conference worker last year at Chief Minister Omar Abdullah’s residence in Srinagar Saturday submitted its report to the Jammu and Kashmir government. The panel ruled that Haji Yousuf died of a heart attack – exonerating Abdullah.

The one-man former Supreme Court Justice (retired) H.S. Bedi Commission submitted its report to state Law Secretary G.H. Tantray.

“The death of Haji Syed Mohammad Yousuf was caused by myocardial infarction (heart attack)… and that no suspicious circumstances can be spelt out,” the report said, absolving the chief minister of any involvement.

The government had in November last year appointed retired Supreme Court judge H.S. Bedi to head the one-man commission to probe the death of 61-year-old Syed Mohammad Yousuf.

“Justice Bedi has submitted his inquiry report to the state law secretary. Have asked for the findings to be studied before sharing with me,” the chief minister tweeted Saturday.

Yousuf, a National Conference (NC) was accused of accepting a bribe of Rs.1.18 crore from two party workers, promising them ministerial berths and memberships of the legislative council.

The report further said: “The deceased had been in fact arrested on Sep 29, 2011 from the CM’s Camp Office by the (inspector general of police) IGP Raja Ajaz Ali…”

It observed: “The evidence also reveals that the deceased had received proper treatment while in the hospital…”

The panel absolved the doctor treating him or the IGP of any lapses.

The state government had on Nov 18, 2011 appointed the one-man commission to probe the death.

Yousuf was handed over to inspector general of police (IGP), crime branch by Abdullah Sep 29 last year at chief minister’s residence in Srinagar after he allegedly admitted that he had taken money from two National Conference (NC) workers for getting them political favours.

Yousuf’s family had alleged that he was tortured at the chief minister’s residence and died a day later. The autopsy showed that he died of cardiac arrest.