Home India News Delhi constable injured in gang-rape protest dead

Delhi constable injured in gang-rape protest dead


New Delhi: A Delhi Police constable viciously attacked during protests against the gang-rape of a woman two days ago succumbed to his injures Tuesday, leaving his family shattered.

Doctors said Subhash Chand Tomar, 47, passed away around 6.30 a.m. due to respiratory and cardiovascular problems sparked off by Sunday’s attack on him on a road leading to India Gate during a violent demonstration.

Medical Superintendent T.S Sidhu of the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital told IANS: “His condition deteriorated at night. We will get to know the exact reasons of death after post mortem.”

According to police officers, after he fell on the street, he was kicked and beaten. His colleagues spotted him unconscious and bleeding and rushed him to hospital.

Since then, Tomar remained on ventilator and never regained consciousness.

Additional Commissioner of Police V.V. Chaudhary told IANS that Tomar was an “exceptionally sincere and hard working” policeman who had earned 77 commendations since joining Delhi Police in 1987.

The anguished family blamed the violent protesters for Tomar’s death.

“The public is responsible for my father’s death. He was brutally beaten up by people. Can they return my father back?” asked a wailing Deepak, his 22-year-old son. “No politician came to visit my father in hospital.”

Police officers said Tomar also had a 24-year-old daughter and another son.

Tomar’s brother Yudhveer Singh too blamed the mob.

“They are responsible for this. What was his fault? He was only doing his job and now he is no more,” he said.

Yudhveer Singh urged those protesting against the rape of the 23-year-old, who too is in critical condition, to stay calm.

Devinder Singh, another brother of the dead man, added: “He was the only earning person in his family. What will happen to them now?”

“He was truly a very nice man and a good policeman,” said Lekh Raj, the head of Karawal Nagar police station in northeast district where Tomar was posted only two months ago.

Eight people were Sunday night arrested for the attack on Tomar but got bail the next day, Joint Commissioner of Police Taj Hassan said. They will now be booked for murder.

“We have lost a brave soldier. We will take action… We will certainly help his family,” a senior police official said.

Tomar will be cremated later Tuesday.