Home India News LeT operational chief arrested, guerrilla killed in Kashmir

LeT operational chief arrested, guerrilla killed in Kashmir


Srinagar : A Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) guerrilla, involved in the killing of a sarpanch last year, was shot dead in a gunfight in Sopore Thursday after his location was disclosed by the outfit’s north Kashmir operational chief arrested earlier, police said.

“Yesterday (Wednesday) a joint team of police and troops of 22 Rashtriya Rifles (RR) arrested Pakistani terrorist Qari Naveed alias Fahadullah, resident of Multan, who was functioning as the self-styled operational commander of LeT in north Kashmir,” Sopore’s Superintendent of Police Syed Imtiyaz Hussain told IANS.

Based on his information about the presence of two more terrorists in the orchard area of Wagub village, a joint operation was launched by the RR, police and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and the area was sealed off today (Thursday), Hussain said.

He said the two terrorists hiding in the orchards fired on the security forces as they advanced.

“In the retaliatory firing, one terrorist was killed. He was later identified as Shabir Ahmad Sheikh alias Tameem alias Sufiyan, resident of Palhalan town (Baramulla district). He was the mastermind in the killing of Sarpanch Ghulam Mohammad Yatoo of Palhalan Sep 10, 2012.

“Another terrorist Hilal Molvi alias Khalid of Palhalan escaped from the area shielding himself behind men and women working in the orchards.”

An AK rifle, five AK magazines, two pistols and five grenades were recovered by the security forces from the site of the gunfight.

“Fahadullah along with slain terrorist Urfi Dar alias Husham of Sopore had also been involved in the killing of special police officer (SPO) Riyaz Ahmad in Sopore in September last year,” said the Sopore police chief.

“He also masterminded series of grenade attacks in Sopore town in the months of July, August and September last year in which many civilians and security force personnel were injured.”

He said Fahadullah had taken over the command of LeT in north Kashmir and was operating in Sopore area after the killing of LeT commander Abdullah Uni.