Internet in Rural India
1. A seven-state survey that tracked rural internet awareness shows that about 84% were ignorant of the medium's existence. As per the primary research, there are 3.8 Mn claimed Internet users in the rural villages in these states.In these 7 states, there are 2.6 Mn active Internet users.
2. Of those who make use of the net, 85% access emails, 67% watch video and listen to music and 48% conduct educational research. Interestingly about 13% utilize the internet to know about latest farming techniques and 8% to find about fertilizers.
3. It shows that as compared to 2008, there is a 26.7% rise in the number of 'active' rural internet users in 2009: from 3.3 million in 2008 to 4.2 million in 2009. Those who have used the internet once or more in the past one month qualify as "active" users.
4. For All India, the number of Claimed Internet users is 6.46 Mn and there are 4.18 Mn Active Internet users. The Internet penetration for Rural India has increased from 0.97% in 2008 to 1.13% in 2009.
5.By the year 2010, the total number of Internet users in rural villages is will grow to 7.7 Mn of which 5.4 Mn will be Active Internet users resulting in 30% growth from the year 2009.
6. More than 70% of rural users access Internet through CSCs/cyber cafés. People, however, access cyber cafes that are located at distances greater than 10 km away, many more times than those possibly within 10 km of their village.
Internet in India
1. 71 million people claimed to have used internet in 2009.
2. Active users, those who use internet at least once a month according the international standards of reckoning, rose from 42 million in September 2008 to 52 million in September 2009.
3. Internet usage has gone up from 9.3 hrs/week to 15.7 hrs/week .