Babri Masjid demolition story as told by CBI witness

By RINA International Service

New Delhi: In the court of chief judicial magistrate Hans Raj, a special CBI Court at Raebareli set up to hear into Babri Masjid Demolition Case, Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) brought in R. K. Swami, deputy commander of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), as its second witness in the case on Thursday, December 13, 2007. RK Swami was there on duty in the last phase of the demolition on December 6, 1992 in the afternoon at about 5:00 p.m. He recorded his six page long statement in the court.

Support TwoCircles

RK Swami told that CRPF placed in the disputed compound was equipped with modern weaponry. He said he saw there a crowd of about 30 thousand karsewaks who were advancing to storm at Babri Masjid. To review the situation, CRPF commander had arrived there at 10:30 a.m. on December 6, 1992. RK Swami told he sought permission to use force against karsewaks from district magistrate RN Srivastava and police captain who were sitting idly in Sita Rasoi (Sita’s kitchen) along with the forces but both these officers refused to grant permission to stop karsewaks or use force against them. RK Swami also revealed in his statement that he heard senior BJP leaders like Lal Krishna Advani, Dr. Murli Manohar Joshi, Uma Bharati and Sadhavi Rithambara addressing the crowds from the dais though their words were not perceptible to him. According to RK Swami, karsewaks had started attacking Babri Masjid at about 1:45 p.m.

He told that following instructions given by civil magistrate, CRPF jawans baton-charged karsewaks and several CRPF jawans and karsewaks were injured in this action. When karsewaks did not disperse, DIG CRPF OPS Malik ordered to intensify baton-charge but karsewaks overwhelmed them and they had to seek refuge from karsewaks’ wrath. Advani’s pleader RK Sood has commenced cross-questioning RK Swami and further proceedings shall be resumed in the next hearing on December 22, 2007.