AIIMS doctor commits suicide, colleagues mourn


New Delhi : A senior resident doctor of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) here who was reportedly depressed committed suicide at his brother's house in Noida, police said Friday.

Support TwoCircles

Sunil Kumar, 34, a neurologist at AIIMS, ended his life by injecting himself with a muscle-relaxing drug, the police said. He was found dead at the Sector 34 Noida house of his brother Subhash early morning.

"Sunil Kumar was found dead in the house and there was no one else at that time," said Amarnath Gupta, the police officer in charge of the case.

Subhash Kumar, an officer with the Indian Oil Corp, had been transferred to Aligarh recently.

"Initial investigations point towards suicide. We found a bottle of Vecuronium, a pharmaceutical drug and two syringes from the spot of suicide," Gupta said.

"Of the two syringes, he had injected one into his left hand wrist vein and another syringe was filled with medicine. We came to know that he was depressed for the past few weeks," Gupta told IANS.

Kumar is not the only doctor from AIIMS to commit suicide. A couple of years back, Rachit Gupta, another doctor of the neurology department, had ended his life. He had committed suicide while on duty in the neurosurgery intensive care unit.

Some doctors in the institute alleged that heavy work pressure and non-cooperation from faculty of the neurology department were the causes of theses mishaps.

"The suicide of Kumar is a result of the constant harassment in his department regarding his thesis. Work pressure also adds fuel to the fire," said a senior doctor requesting anonymity.

Meanwhile, AIIMS authorities mourned the death of Kumar and termed him as a bright student.

"He was a bright student, well liked and trusted by all fellow residents, faculty and staff," said Shakti Gupta of the department of medical ophthalmology and in charge media centre.

Police officials said the reason behind Kumar's suicide is yet to be ascertained.

Police said Kumar's body had been shifted to the Noida government hospital for a post mortem examination. Kumar was living with his wife Kamna, also a doctor, in the institute's hostel.