Mumbai : Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt was taken to the Arthur Road jail here after a special court Tuesday sentenced him to six years rigorous imprisonment in the 1993 serial bombings in Mumbai.
Special anti-terror TADA court judge P.D. Kode permitted the actor, who was convicted under the Arms Act and has already spent 16 months in prison, to take a call from his daughter Trishala in the US.
Kode also heeded Dutt's request that he and his friend Yusuf Nulwala, who got five years imprisonment, be kept in the Arthur Road jail but in different cells.
The judge, who has been holding court in the Arthur Road jail premises, said Dutt should not be kept with hardened criminals but in a proper place with all facilities.
His family would be allowed to come and meet him.
Dutt's lawyers are planning to appeal in the Supreme Court seeking bail for him and suspension of his sentence.
The actor's pleadings that he should be given time to surrender failed to move the judge, however.
"I committed a mistake," Dutt said with folded hands.
"Please consider my case and permit me to surrender after a few days. I have a lot of family matters to take care of," the actor said, adding that his sister – Priya, a Congress MP – was pregnant.
"Give me just two days and I will come back," he said, but Kode replied that he had no power now.
"I have no power now after pronouncing the sentence. I have been very considerate with you and allowed you to be on bail since you were convicted on Nov 28 last year."
While Kode decided Dutt's fate inside, his family and friends who had driven with him in a motorcade earlier in the day, waited outside with only media and lawyers allowed inside.