New Delhi : Leading cardiologist Naresh Trehan Wednesday resigned from the post of executive director of Escorts Hospital and will completely disengage himself from the hospital from June 1.
Sources close to Trehan said the doctor might go on to head the cardiology department at the Indraprastha Apollo Hospital here.
"I am thinking about it (joining Apollo) and a final decision would be taken Wednesday evening," Trehan told IANS.
"Naresh Trehan has resigned and will no more be a part of Escorts from June 1," said Sudarshan Majumdar, marketing head of Fortis Healthcare that acquired 90 percent share of Escorts hospital in September 2005.
"It is a mutual decision by both Trehan and the management. However, his 10 percent share in the hospital stands as it is," Majumdar told IANS.
Shivinder Mohan Singh, managing director of Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre (EHIRCL) and Fortis Healthcare, while accepting the resignation acknowledged that Trehan has left a "strong legacy and foundation that will continue to be built upon".
"Naresh Trehan, executive director of EHIRCL, has decided to disengage himself from EHIRCL with effect from 1st June 2007," said Singh.
Singh said with the rapidly growing economy and the dramatic growth in the healthcare space, "Trehan has decided to focus his attention to brining to fruition his new dreams."
He was hinting at Trehan's upcoming Rs. 10 billion Medicity project – a major healthcare hub in Gurgaon on the outskirts of Delhi.
Trehan and the Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre (EHIRC) management were at loggerheads for eight days after the cardiologist was sacked from the hospital May 18 on the ground of "conflict of interest".
However, after huge media interest and pressure from common friends and industry leaders, Fortis Healthcare Saturday reinstated Trehan as executive director of the hospital.
The hospital management withdrew the police case it had filed against Trehan and said his sacking last week was a "result of misunderstanding".