Maudany remanded to police custody till August 26

By Staff Correspondent,

Bengaluru: PDP chief Abdunnasir Maudany has been remanded to police custody till August 26 in connection with the Bengaluru serial blast case. He was produced before Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Venkatesh R Hulagi late last night at his residence. Maudany was flown to Bengaluru yesterday after he was arrested by the Karnataka police in Kollam in Kerala.

Support TwoCircles

Meanwhile, Maudany’s party People’s Democratic Party is observing today as Black Day in the state. The state leaders said that all protests of the party would be held peacefully.

The court granted custody to the police reportedly on condition that he should be allowed to perform all religious rituals in the month of Ramzan. The court added that necessary medical facilities also should be made available to him. Knowing Maudany was a handicap, the magistrate came down his upstairs flat to complete the proceedings, according to reports.

Maudany was arrested yesterday afternoon by the Bengaluru police, stopping his vehicle when he was on the way to the Karunagappally court to surrender. The arrest took place at around 1.15 pm just after Maudany summoned a press conference announcing his decision to surrender before court following afternoon prayers. Maudany was then taken by road to Thiruvananthapuram from where he was flown to Bengaluru in the evening.

Ma’dani was named 31st accused in the 2008 Bengaluru blast case. He was named in the additional chargesheet submitted before the Bengaluru additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Court on June 11, 2010. A non-bailable arrest warrant was issued against him on June 15. Maudany submitted anticipatory bail in a fast-track court and then in the Karnataka High Court, but both were rejected.

Karnataka police reached Kerala to arrest Maudany on August 8. The arrest was delayed due to the President’s visit to the state and Independence Day which required special police protection. However, the Anvarssery campus where Maudany was residing was brought under police control by clamping prohibitory orders in the area. Meanwhile, Maudany submitted an anticipatory bail plea in the Supreme Court. He announced on Sunday that he would surrender in a nearby court and added that he had not received the warrant. He was arrested yesterday at Anvarssery when he had just started to go to the court to surrender. In the meantime, the plea submitted at the SC was also rejected as he had already been arrested by the time the plea was taken in the court.