Home Indian Muslim Situation in violence-hit UP town limping back to normalcy

Situation in violence-hit UP town limping back to normalcy

Lucknow, (IANS): The situation in Uttar Pradesh’s violence-hit Lakhimpur Kheri, where an objectionable video on Hindu deities on social media led to communal clashes, leaving two injured, is getting back to normal, officials said on Friday.

Four persons have been arrested – one for organising the protests and three in connection with the video, police said.

Inspector General of Police, Lucknow zone, Satish Ganesh told IANS that movement of essential commodities has been restored and that Vinod Gupta, one of those accused of inciting violence, has been arrested.

He said that he, Divisional Commissioner Bhuvnesh Kumar and Deputy Inspector General, Lucknow range, Pravir Kumar had been camping in the area since Thursday night.

Injured Sachin Gupta, who was rushed to the trauma centre in Lucknow after he sustained gunshot wounds on Thursday night, has been operated upon and he is now out of danger. “No major organ was involved, a surgical procedure was done on him and the blood loss replenished,” a doctor told IANS.

Members of one community became angered on Thursday after the video surfaced and they downed shutters in major markets and took out protest marches. At some places they scuffled with police.

Late Thursday night, the two communities came face to face and there was some vandalism of shops in Kharwaranganj and Kucchehri areas. Shots were fired thereafter, which left two injured. Police said two persons — Gupta and Ravi Vishwakarma — sustained bullet injuries and are being treated. Gupta was sent to Lucknow for treatment while Ravi is being treated at the district hospital.

Police say they have arrested a Muslim youth along with two other accomplices in connection with the video.

Cases have been registered against Ahmad, Faizal and Aarif under sections 66 a (2), 295 a, 153 a (b) and section 4 of the IT Act. The accused were taken to jail late on Thursday night. The chief judicial magistrate was called there and he sent them to judicial custody after a brief hearing.

Police is since trying to pacify the angry mobs and have assured that the accused will be charged under the stringent National Security Act.