Home Lead Story Uttar Pradesh: Muslim youth who married Hindu woman found dead at lodge,...

Uttar Pradesh: Muslim youth who married Hindu woman found dead at lodge, kin cry foul play

Representational picture

The death of a Muslim youth, who had arrived in Prayagraj to seek court protection for his inter-faith marriage, has sparked allegations of foul play from his family.

TCN Staff Reporter

PRAYAGARAJ (UTTAR PRADESH) — After the death of a Muslim youth inside a lodge near Allahabad High Court on September 8, his family has alleged foul play and demanded a fair investigation into the case. 

As per reports, 22-year-old Arif Ansari was found dead in his bed by his wife Renu Dubey (name changed), who was staying with him. The couple had arrived in Prayagraj from Gorakhpur on September 7 to seek court protection for their inter-faith marriage. They had married at the court on August 30. 

Preliminary investigation by the police claimed that Arif was tense and depressed in the days before his death as a first information report under charges of abduction had been filed against him by his wife’s family in Basgoan police station. 

Police claimed that Arif committed suicide by injecting some poisonous substances during the night of September 7 and was found dead by his wife in the morning. 

However, Arif’s family has alleged foul play in his death and demanded a fair investigation into the case. 

Arif’s father Khursheed Ansari said that they came to know about Arif’s affair with a woman of another community only when “Gorakhpur police came to our home on August 31.” 

“On September 8, we received a call that my son was found dead at a lodge. Police claim that he committed suicide but that is not the fact. He would have not gone to arrange for a lawyer if he wanted to commit suicide. My son has been killed and now attempts are being made to pass off the murder as a suicide. I demand a fair investigation into the case and justice for my only son,” Ansari said. 

Speaking to TwoCircles.net, Arif’s uncle Nisar Ahmad said that Arif was the eldest sibling and was working to support his family.

A native of Parasia Bhagwati village in the Khukhundu area of Deoria district in Uttar Pradesh, Arif worked at a private hospital in Gorakhpur. He was staying in a rented room in Pipri Navsari. Arif and Renu had known each other for over a year and had decided to get married. Renu’s family wasn’t in favour of her getting married to Arif. The duo left Gorakhpur on August 29 and arrived the next day in Prayagraj to get married at court with the help of a lawyer. 

Meanwhile, police conducted a raid at Arif’s home after Renu’s mother filed an FIR under charges of abduction at Basgaon police station against Arif and two other women who were Renu’s friends on August 31.

Hearing about the FIR against him, Arif had decided to return to Prayagraj and seek court protection for their inter-faith marriage and security for themselves. He arrived in Prayagraj on September 7 and contacted his lawyer. The couple stayed at Guru Kripa lodge opposite Allahabad High Court, where Arif was found dead in his bed the next morning. 

Civil Lines police of Prayagraj later claimed that Renu informed them that Arif was tense over the FIR of abduction filed against him. Police claimed that “he was also unable to arrange for the fee that the lawyer was demanding for providing them protection from the court.” Police further claimed that Arif arranged a poisonous injection which he injected into his body at some hour in the night, resulting in his death. 

Soon afterwards, Police sent Arif’s body to the mortuary and informed his kin about his death. Gorakhpur police were also informed as a case of abduction was lodged against Arif at Basgaon police station. Later, Basgaon police arrived in Prayagraj and took custody of Renu. 

On September 9, Arif’s postmortem was carried out by a panel of doctors following which his body was handed over to his family. 

Sources at the mortuary told TwoCircles.net that “the doctors have preserved his viscera which will be sent to FSL for a detailed examination to determine the exact cause of Arif’s death.”

Arif’s lawyer has also contested the police claims over his death. 

“It seems strange that anyone could use a syringe to commit suicide. It is also unusual that Arif was dead but his wife only came to know about it in the morning. We have demanded a fair investigation of the case and requested the police to scan the call details of Arif and his wife. Police should also check CCTV footage at the lodge where both were staying. We have given a written complaint to Civil Lines police in this connection and will approach senior officials if no action is taken,” Khursheed’s lawyer M.R Khan said.

Station House Office (SHO) at Civil Lines police station Virendra Singh told TwoCircles.net that the woman has been handed over to Gorakhpur police as a case of her abduction was registered there. “Primary investigations and questioning from her suggest that Arif was in depression and ended his life,” he said. 

To a query about foul play, Singh said that “Arif’s kin have not made any complaint to police.”  

“The postmortem report indicated that he died of poisoning,” he added.