New Delhi : The government “will not rest” until the perpetrators of last year’s serial bomb blasts that ripped through Mumbai’s trains are brought to justice, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Thursday.
The prime minister was taking stock of the investigation into the terror attack and reviewing steps taken to provide compensation to families of the victims and those injured.
“The prime minister has said that all those against whom cases have already been registered and all those who are wanted in this case will be brought to justice,” the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) said in a statement Thursday.
“The government will not rest till the guilty are punished. The prime minister hailed the courage and forbearance of the people of Mumbai and their determination to stand united in the fight against terrorism.”
India’s financial capital Mumbai Wednesday marked the first anniversary of the terror attack, which 187 people were killed.
Mumbai Police have charge-sheeted 25 people, the designated court has issued non-bailable warrants against 15 absconders, and Red Corner notices have been issued against two suspects.
Though police have arrested several suspects who collaborated in the gruesome blasts, the main conspirators are at large. Charges have been framed against 18 Indians, five of whom allegedly planted the bombs, and 10 Pakistanis, who are reported to be on the run.
Police blamed the bombings on Pakistan’s intelligence service and the outlawed pro-Pakistan militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba, but the claim is not listed in any of the charges.
Manmohan Singh “also reviewed assistance for hospitalisation, payment of medical bills and provision of employment for those who have sought such employment”, said the statement.
“Of the 118 applicants for jobs, approval has been given for 96 so far, according to information provided by the Maharashtra government and the railways ministry.
“The ministry has been asked to ensure that the Railway Claims Tribunal expedites the disposal of claims for compensation.”