As people protest in Kerala over Jisha’s murder, state government tries to save itself

By Shafeeq Hudawi,

Kozhikode: Over the past few days, images of hundreds of youngsters and activists protesting across Kerala demanding ‘justice for Jisha’ have painted an apt picture of the continuing failure of police and the government in ensuring security for the women folk in the country. On Wednesday, amid the protests, reports revealed how dirty politics of the ruling front denied justice to 30-year-old dalit woman Jisha, who was murdered in Perumbavoor on April 28.

Support TwoCircles

According to Malayalam daily Deshabhimani’s report, the police was asked to conceal the cruelty which led to the death of the Dalit woman, as the state government was scared of the backlash in the assembly polls due to the public fury.

“The primary findings by the police suggested that she was brutally raped before being killed. The post-mortem revealed that her internal organs were also severely damaged. But the police was asked to lessen the seriousness of the killing,” the report said.

The post-mortem had found more than 30 injuries on her body.

According to the report, the forensic experts visited the victim’s house only three days after the incident. The weapon, with which she was attacked, was recovered from the house premises only after three days. “This deliberate delay led to the loss of several crucial evidences,” the report said.

The law student was living with her mother Rajeswari at a one-room residence on a plot of land, which was lying abandoned. The victim was alone as Rajeswari had gone out. She was found in a pool of blood while her mother returned home at 8 30 PM on April 28.

Quoting the official sources, media reports say that the complaint issued by Jisha and Rajeswari against local anti social elements, who used to harass the duo, was ignored by the police. “The police was least concerned of the complaint as the duo was alone and was keeping no relation with the relatives,” the reports said.

After the incident, the state has seen several protests and with elections around the corner, the government woke up to the incident only on on May 3. Kerala CM Oommen Chandy on Tuesday broke his silence and told media persons that stringent action would be taken against the culprits. The investigation was handed over to Central Zone IG.

Meanwhile, Home Minister Ramesh Chennithala was not allowed by the furious mob to visit the house of Jisha. The minister had to leave the scene after he arrived at Perumbavoor owing to the stiff protests.

The police claim that it has been conducting combing investigations and have taken seven persons, including Jisha’s two neighbours, into custody in relation with the case. But no one was confirmed to be the accused in the case. ADGP K Padmakumar, while briefing the media on Tuesday said that the police couldn’t confirm who the real culprits were.

One suspect who was taken to the custody by the police from Kannur denied charges by the police while he was presented before the court on Wednesday.