Woman set on fire for dowry in Delhi


New Delhi : A woman was allegedly set on fire by her in-laws in east Delhi Thursday after her parents failed to meet their dowry demands. Her condition was stated to be critical with 70 percent burn injuries, police said.

Support TwoCircles

According to police, Kusum, 26, caught fire while she was preparing food at her New Ashok Nagar house in the morning. She was rushed to the Lal Bahadur Shastri hospital but later shifted to the Guru Tegh Bahadur Hospital.

Police said the victim in her statement to sub-district magistrate alleged that her mother-in-law Shanti Devi and sister-in-law Shanno used to harass her for dowry but in the morning they set her ablaze after pouring kerosene oil on her.

“I was saved by my husband Raj Kumar,” she said in her statement.

Police said on the basis of her statement to the magistrate, a case of dowry harassment and attempt to murder was registered against Shanti Devi and Shanno.

“The duo have been arrested,” said a police official.

In a separate incident, a 30-year-old woman was shot dead by three people after she and her husband resisted their molestation bid in Ashok Vihar area of northeast Delhi early Thursday.

According to police, three people, identified as Vijay Pal, Satish and Gora, barged into the couple’s house and tried to molest Geeta. The couple used to sell fruits in moving trains and at the New Delhi railway station.

“After protests from the couple, one of the accused pulled out a gun and fired at Geeta. She died on the spot. They also assaulted her husband Suresh,” said a senior police official.

According to police, their neighbours after hearing gun shot rushed to their house and managed to overpower Satish and handed him over to police.

“We have fanned out teams to arrest the other two accused,” the official added.

On Thursday police also arrested a man for allegedly lynching her wife at their Narela house in northwest Delhi.

According to police, Satender killed his 22-year-old wife Pinki over some petty issue after she returned from his parents’ house in Sonepat, Haryana, at around 4.00 p.m.