He missed train only to die in Mumbai terror blast


Hyderabad : Laxminarayan Goel missed his train to home in Hyderabad before the 55-year-old advocate was killed in one of the blasts in Mumbai Wednesday night when a number of terrorists attacked the financial capital of India.

Support TwoCircles

Three people, including a woman, from Andhra Pradesh were among those killed in the terror attacks in Mumbai.

Amina Begum, 25, was killed and her father Mehmood was injured in the indiscriminate firing by terrorists at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) railway station Wednesday night. Laxminarayan Goel died in the blast in a taxi at Vile Parle, and Vijay Rao Bhanja, an executive chef, was gunned down by terrorists inside the Taj Hotel Hotel.

Amina Begum and her father, hailing from Nizamabad district, had gone to Mumbai to meet their relatives. They got down at the station and were going out to a nearby restaurant for dinner when terrorists struck the place, opening fire.

Goel had missed his train to Hyderabad Wednesday night and was returning to a relative’s house in a taxi, his family members said.

The shocked family members of Goel said he rang them up from the CST station to inform them that he had missed the train and was returning to his sister-in-law’s house.

He boarded a taxi but could not reach his destination. At Vile Parle, the taxi burst into flames, killing Goel, the taxi driver and another unidentified passenger.

After learning about the terror attacks, Goel’s family tried to contact him over his mobile but it did not respond.

They grew anxious when Goel’s sister-in-law Usha informed them that he had not reached home. After frantic efforts to trace him, they received a call from Cooper Hospital that he had been killed.

Goel, who is survived by his wife and four daughters, had gone to Mumbai for some office work Sunday.

Abhishek Goel, a relative, said the advocate’s body was badly mutilated. He was identified based on the documents he was carrying.

Vijay Rao Bhanja, 48, an executive chef at the Taj Hotel, was gunned down by terrorists in the early hours of Thursday. One of his colleagues, who luckily escaped, informed the family about the tragedy.

Bhanja’s house at Sainikpuri here plunged into gloom as the family received the shocking news. He is survived by his wife and a son.

He spoke to his wife late Wednesday night to inform her that he, along with others, was holed up in the hotel but was safe, only to be gunned down a few hours later.

Bhanja’s family was to join him in a few days for a family function in Mumbai.