New Delhi : Bollywood star Sanjay Dutt Tuesday took on the Congress-led government, saying it had opposed him in the Supreme Court, which had refused to suspend his conviction in a criminal case and allow him to contest the polls.
Dutt, who flew to Delhi from Lucknow after the apex court’s order, told reporters: “I don’t want to accuse anyone, but just want to say that if anyone opposed (me) it is (the) government.”
Flanked by Samajwadi Party general secretary Amar Singh, the actor said: “I will not leave Lucknow and will campaign for the Samajwadi Party throughout the country.”
He said he was happy that the apex court exonerated him of the charges under the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA).
The Samajwadi Party had named Dutt as its candidate for the Lucknow Lok Sabha seat, represented in the outgoing house by former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee.
Earlier, at the Delhi airport, Dutt said: “I am feeling positive and strong. I will work hard and I will ensure that the party wins the Lucknow seat.”
Amar Singh said he was “more upset” than Sanjay Dutt, who had been “very sporting and very courageous”.
He refused to name the new candidate for the Lucknow seat, stating the announcement would be made after consultations with senior party leaders. Dutt maintained the same line.
Asked about his recent statement that Dutt’s wife Manyata would contest the elections if the actor was not allowed to do so, Singh said: “I will not answer it.”
The star had told reporters in Lucknow before leaving for Delhi that he would campaign for any candidate the party decided to field.