Committee to inspect functioning of state shelters in Bengal


Kolkata : In the wake of the suspected rape and murder of a mentally-ill woman in a government-run asylum, the West Bengal government Monday announced the setting up of an eight-member committee tasked with regularly inspecting asylums in the state and submit a report.

Support TwoCircles

“We have decided to set up a committee comprising mostly eminent women personalities, including wives of administrative and police officers, who will regularly inspect the government-run shelter homes in the state and submit a periodic report,” state Women and Child Development and Social Welfare Minister Sabitri Mitra told IANS.

“There have been reports of mismanagement and other complaints in several homes, especially those sheltering women. With the help of the eight-member committee, we hope to address the problems faced by these homes,” she said.

The minister also said the government was planning to install CCTV cameras and sirens in all government-run homes in the state.

Meanwhile, the investigation of the suspected rape and murder of Gudiya has been handed over to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID).

The body of 32-year-old Gudiya was exhumed from the backyard of her asylum in Dhaniakhali in Hooghly district July 11. The medical certificate showed that she died a natural death but police suspect that she was killed.

In this connection, 10 persons have been arrested and a doctor who allegedly gave the death certificate of Gudiya citing her death due to cardio-respiratory failure has been detained and is being interrogated by the CID.

“His interrogation is likely to throw up some important facts,” a CID officer said.

Police are looking for more people, including prime accused Shyamal Ghosh.

The National Commission for Women has sought from the district administration an action taken report in the case.

Inmates of the state-run asylum alleged that Ghosh often tortured them. He thrashed Gudiya a few days before her disappearance in June last week, they alleged.

Following the probe, the rehabilitation home was forced to shut down and the inmates were shifted to other government-run shelters.