By IANS,
Lucknow: Six days after 63 people died in a stampede in an Uttar Pradesh ashram, Chief Minister Mayawati Wednesday announced a compensation of Rs.2.5 lakh to the families of those killed and Rs.50,000 to the injured.
“We will pay a compensation of Rs.2.5 lakh to the families of each of those killed and Rs.50,000 to those inured in the tragedy,” Mayawati told reporters here.
The chief minister had earlier said that on account of an acute financial crunch, the state was not in a position to shell out any monetary relief to the victims.
The tragedy took place at the Bhakti Dham spiritual ashram run by self-styled popular godman Kripaluji Maharaj, where thousands had converged to join a feast thrown by him March 4, to mark the death anniversary of his wife.
What drew larger crowds was an announcement that the ashram would also dole out two utensils to the poor alongwith free food.
Mayawati said: “What prompted the state government to react was the central government’s failure to keep its word.”
“It is a matter of great shame that even five days after the central government made a formal declaration to give Rs.2 lakh to the next of kin of the dead and Rs.50,000 to every injured, not a single paise had been sent. This reflects their utter apathy and insensitive attitude,” she said.
She termed the centre’s compensation announcement a “political gimmick” and “lip service”.
Asked if the administration would fix the responsibility for the tragedy, she said: “In view of the preliminary inquiry report submitted by the Allahabad divisional commissioner, three people, including the manager of the ashram, were arrested today (Wednesday). Further action will follow after detailed investigation.”