Father of Gurgaon shooting accused arrested


Gurgaon : Azad Yadav, the father of one of the teenagers who allegedly shot dead a classmate here, surrendered at a police station Friday evening after being on the run for the past four days.

Support TwoCircles

Yadav, who was missing since the Tuesday shooting death of Class 8 student Abhishek Tyagi at an upscale school in Gurgaon, gave into police pressure and surrendered at the Sector 40 police station here. Police had raided his home in a village in Islampur and also possible hideouts in the national capital.

“Yadav was arrested after he surrendered at the Sector 40 police station late evening and has been taken for interrogation,” Deputy Commissioner of Police Satish Balan told reporters.

“During initial interrogation, Yadav disclosed that the gun allegedly used in killing the Class 8 student belonged to his friend R.S. Dalal, a state official,” Balan added.

The police official said Yadav would be charged under section 25 and 30 of the Arms Act for keeping a non-licensed gun with him. He could face upto maximum punishment of three years in jail.

Balan said Yadav didn’t surrender earlier as he was scared and shocked after the shooting incident. “He will be produced before a city magistrate Saturday.”

The Gurgaon Police Thursday included his name in the first information report (FIR) for negligent handling of firearms, which his son had smuggled to the school.

The firing occurred in the elite Euro International School Tuesday, which claims to be an institution of international stature, in Sector 45 close to the national capital, well after the school hours.

Tyagi, 14, had just climbed down the stairs to the ground floor to board the school bus back home when he was allegedly shot dead by two students. Tyagi lay dead in a pool of blood on the stairs, with two bullets in the chest and one in the forehead.

The two boys were sent to the custody of a juvenile home.

Asked about the security provided to the families of the accused after the Tyagis allegedly vowed revenge, Lal said: “Nobody has approached us seeking security.”

Earlier in the day the victim’s family had accused the police of inaction.”Yadav should be charged with murder and criminal conspiracy,” said Ravindra Tyagi, father of the dead boy.

“We want a speedy investigation,” he added.

Meanwhile, the school reopened after two days of closure and the police prevented television channel crews from entering the premises.

School chairman Satyavir Yadav said: “Today we registered 65 percent attendance. Students have come with their parents and all of them were given counselling.”

He added: “The presence of television media is causing disruption as students are regularly peeping outside the windows to see the movement of television reporters and cameramen.”