New Delhi : The mass exodus of doctors and paramedics from the Escorts hospital continued Friday as 20 more doctors and paramedics resigned to join Apollo Hospitals, two days after leading cardiologist Naresh Trehan had quit to join the same hospital.
"Twenty of our staff including 10 doctors left the hospital Friday. But we are sure the hospital will not face a setback in patient care," Daljit Singh, head operations, told IANS.
On Thursday, at least 10 doctors and 12 paramedical staff had resigned from the Escorts hospital.
However, R.R. Kasliwal a senior cardiologist, who had already left Escorts, said: "At least two dozen doctors left today. I think a total of 100 staffers including over 40 doctors have already left the hospital to join Apollo."
However, Singh said the Escorts hospital has over 200 doctors and the total staff of nearly 2,500. "Hence this development will not affect the patient care at all."
Those who have resigned include R.R. Kasliwal, director (non-invasive cardiology), Sanjay Mittal, principal consultant (cardiology) and senior consultants B. Aggarwal and Neeraj Gupta.
Ending a 10-day fracas with Fortis Healthcare, which acquired 90 percent stake in the Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre (EHIRC) last year, Trehan Wednesday resigned from the post of executive director of the hospital and joined the Apollo group.
On May 18, Fortis Healthcare had sacked Trehan citing "conflict of interest" but reinstated him Saturday.