Ban to set up investigation team of war on Gaza, to be headed by Ian Martin

By KUNA,

UNITED NATIONS : Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is about to announce the establishment of an independent investigation in the Israeli aggression against the UNRWA compound in Gaza last month, a UN official told KUNA on Monday.


Support TwoCircles

Ban is going to announce it either in the next hour during a briefing of the Security Council on his latest trip to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, where he attended the African Summit, Pakistan, India, Afghanistan and Iraq, or tomorrow morning during a scheduled press conference, the official said.
The three-member investigation team will be headed by Ian Martin, of the UK, who has been a human rights activist and has been Secretary-General of Amnesty International from 1986 to 1992.
He is currently the Special Representative of the Secretary-General in the United Nations Mission in Nepal.

The UN is still working on the terms of reference for Martin’s mission.
The Arab group is trying to convince Ban to have Martin’s mission expanded to include all the Israeli aggression on Gaza.

Israel is doing its own investigation and has not submitted it to Ban yet. (end) sj.bs KUNA 100052 Feb 09NNNN

SUPPORT TWOCIRCLES HELP SUPPORT INDEPENDENT AND NON-PROFIT MEDIA. DONATE HERE