Relatives create ruckus at Gurgaon’s Artemis Hospital


Gurgaon : Relatives of a patient created a ruckus at the multi-specialty Artemis Hospital here Monday, accusing the authorities of charging huge fees but not providing proper treatment to the patient. As a precautionary measure, police was deployed in the hospital premises, an official said.

Support TwoCircles

A 21-year-old woman, Jyoti, was admitted in Artemis Hospital here after an accident last November. She was then seven months pregnant.

Joyti’s brother Bijendra Singh told IANS: “At the time of admission, doctors said that her injuries were not serious and she will be perfect in a week. After three days, they told us that an operation has to be done and for that Rs.10 lakh has to be deposited by us.”

“After that five operations were carried out on her. Each time we were assured that the patient would be well in a week. During that period we deposited a total of about Rs.60 lakh in installments. Despite that, now Rs.18 lakh is outstanding. On Sunday night, doctors denied her further treatment for not depositing the balance,” Bijendra added.

Devlina Chakravarty, Chief Operating Officer, Artemis Health Institute (AHI), in a statement claimed that the patient was brought in a critical condition on Nov 19, 2011 from a nearby village Ghata. The patient had multiple injuries on her abdomen, spine fracture, pancreatic trauma, among other injuries.

The baby was delivered through an emergency caesarean surgery on Nov 22, 2011 and was discharged in a few days.

“Artemis has been making all the efforts to save the patient without waiting for the payments.

“However, since the outstanding against the patient has gone beyond the permissible limits, doctors suggested that, in case they are unable to bear the expenses, Artemis can make arrangements to shift the patient to a government hospital.

“In reply, the patient’s family refused to make any payments; and also refused to agree to shift the patient to any other hospital. Instead, they displayed unruly behavior. The patient’s family has damaged a car, which was carrying senior officials of the hospital.

“They even closed the hospital gates forcefully for some time,” the statment sai.

Police said they have not received any written complaint.

“We haven’t received any complaint from any side,” said a police officer.

After a meeting of villagers, hospital authorities decided to restart the treatment .