Tehran : Iran has welcomed Saudi Arabia’s halt to its aerial campaign against Yemen, expressing hope that a national dialog among Yemeni parties would resume.
“Undoubtedly a halt to the killing of innocent and defenceless people is a step forward,” Press TV quoted Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Marzieh Afkham as saying on Tuesday night.
“We had previously announced that the crisis in Yemen has no military solution,” she said.
The Iranian official expressed hope that measures required for the dispatch of humanitarian aid would be undertaken as soon as possible and negotiations be resumed among all Yemeni parties and groups towards the creation of an inclusive government.
Afkham also said she hoped that all parties contribute to the betterment of the situation.
The Iranian official made the remarks shortly after Riyadh declared the end of “Operation Decisive Storm” against Yemen and announced the beginning of a new phase dubbed “Operation Restoring Hope”.
Saudi Arabia has “ended Operation Decisive Storm based on a request by the Yemeni government” and fugitive former president Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, said Saudi government spokesman Brig. Gen. Ahmed al-Assiri on a televised broadcast.
He added that the Saudi naval blockade on Yemen would stay in place and the Saudi forces would continue targeting the Ansarullah movement’s Houthi fighters.
According to a Saudi military statement, the next phase of the operations — which would be aimed at commencing political talks and delivering aid, and a mixture of political, diplomatic and military efforts — will start on Wednesday.