Jakarta : Indonesia on Tuesday expressed deep condolence to Myanmar and pledged one million U.S. dollars in humanitarian aid to the cyclone-torn country, said State Spokesman Dino Patti Djalal.
The cyclone Nagris which badly hit Myanmar over the weekend and left at least 150,000 dead was the second largest disaster in Asia after the tsunami in Indonesia’s Aceh in December 2004 that killed more than 220,000 people, the spokesman said.
“On behalf of the government and the people of Indonesia, the president expressed deep condolence and sympathy to the government of Myanmar after hit by cyclone Nagris,” Dino told a press conference at the State Palace.
The spokesman said that a preparation had been made to send the aids soon.
“He (the president) will donate one million U.S. dollars and send two Hercules loaded with foods, medicines and other humanitarian aids,” said Dino, adding that the aid will be sent as soon as possible.
The spokesman said the Indonesian government would continue to monitor the situation in Myanmar and to ask information about what was more needed in the country.
The cyclone storm struck five provinces of Myanmar with winds of up to 120 mph over the weekend. It destroyed electricity, telecommunication and clean waters facilities, buildings, and other infrastructures, said Dino.
Indonesian President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono on Tuesday morning met with acting ambassador of Mynamar in Jakarta Kye Mounjoo to ask what was needed more by the government of Myanmar, according to the spokesman.