French relief organization pulls out of Sri Lanka

By DPA,

Colombo : A French relief organization, which operated in conflict areas in Sri Lanka and had lost 17 of their local workers in a single incident two years ago, has decided to withdraw from the country, a statement from the organization said Friday.


Support TwoCircles

Action Contre la Faim (ACF or Action against Hunger) said it was withdrawing because of slow progress of investigations carried out by a presidential commission probing 15 violent incidents including the killing of the aid workers.

The 17 local aid workers were killed when the military was taking over the rebel-controlled area of Muttur, 260 km north east of the capital Colombo, Aug 4 2006.

Investigations have not established whether the Tamil rebels or the military killed them.

The ACF has been involved in providing relief to the war affected in the north and eastern provinces. Troops recaptured the eastern province last year and are currently fighting the rebels in part of the northern province.

SUPPORT TWOCIRCLES HELP SUPPORT INDEPENDENT AND NON-PROFIT MEDIA. DONATE HERE